This course covers the essential ESL teaching skills a Teacher of English for Speakers of Other Languages should possess, ranging from teaching pronunciation, listening, speaking, and writing, to classroom management, to specialized teaching skills such as teaching business English and children.
The course is conducted by Mentors who have a minimum of 5 years of TESOL experience and an excellent background as instructors.
TESOL Preparation Program – 36 quarter units, 15 hours a week
Monday – Thursday: 9-12pm
Cost: $6000 for one-year program
This certificate offers:
- Training time.
- Teaching reading, writing, listening, speaking, English grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, classroom management, lesson planning and student evaluation.
- Teaching English to children, business English and TOEFL tutoring.
- Teaching practice with a full range of lesson types and with at least two different levels of classes.
- An optimal ratio of trainer to course participants.
- Understand the fundaments of how second languages are learned.
- Understand how to use teaching materials and the characteristics of effective materials.
- Learn to help your students gain the confidence and proficiency they need to speak English.
- Learn to teach students skills to understand English both in the classroom and outside of it.
- Learn to evaluate reading comprehension and writing from beginner level to advanced level students.
- Understand how to explain grammar and successfully answer students’ questions about it.
- Understand how to generate rapport with your students and create a good learning environment in your classroom.
- Understand how to be culturally sensitive in the classroom.
- Understand the characteristics of a good learner, error correction, teaching methods and practices across student age and proficiency levels.
- Review case studies and lesson plan templates to create solid lesson plans.
- Learn how to create a learning environment in the classroom.
- Learn approaches to content, task and theme-based teaching.
- Make use of visual aids, computer technology, role-play, games and drama to teach.
- Your ESL Job: What’s on Offer?
- International Trends in the ESL Industry.
- What Makes a Great Teacher?
- Building Rapport with Students.
- The Successful Learner.
- ESL Teaching Levels.
- Meeting Needs of Diverse Learners.
- Learning Styles Theory.
- Teaching Across Age and Proficiency Levels.
- Classroom Management.
- Cultural Sensitivity in the Classroom.
- English Grammar Demystified.
- Breathing Life into Grammar Lessons.
- Teaching Vocabulary Techniques.
- Teaching Speaking and Listening.
- Teaching Reading and Writing.
- Solving and Avoiding ESL Problems.
- Mid-Lesson Crisis Management.
- Grammar Explanation for Beginner Level Students.
- Assessing Students’ Progress.
- Teaching in a Multicultural Setting.
- Lesson Coordination when Team Teaching.
- Teaching and Evaluating ESL Students.
- ESL Games and Exercises.
- ESL Ice Breaker Activities.
- Overcoming Fear of Failure as an ESL Teacher.
- Classroom Setup.
- Grammar: The Simple Past vs. the Present Perfect.
- Designing Exceptional ESL Lessons.
- Understanding Group Dynamics.
- Teaching English Grammar.
- Effective Cross Cultural Relations.
- Conflict Resolution Techniques.
- Difference between Tutoring and Teaching.
- Tutoring Techniques.
- Teaching Pronunciation.
- Teaching Idioms, Expressions, Phrasal Verbs and Slang.
- Finding and Using ESL Teaching Resources.
- Finding and Negotiating Your ESL Contract.
- Job Interviews and Teaching Positions.
- Culture Shock and Adaptation.
- Teaching Classroom English.
- Observation and Evaluation of Peer Mini-Lessons.
- Special Considerations for Teaching Children.
- Ideas for Young Learner Classroom Management.
- Teaching Specific Skills and Activities for Children.
- Self Reflection Task for Young Learners.
- TPR (Total Physical Response): Nonverbal Technique with Children.
- Language Acquisition and Child Development.
- Understanding Business English.
- Conducting Needs Analysis.
- Business English Lessons and Units.
- Teaching Verbal Communication Skills in Business English.
- Speaking Activities for the Business Professional.
- Teaching Written Communication Skills in Business English.
- What are TOEFL and TOEIC?
- Teaching Adults.
- The New TOEFL IBT.
- TOEFL/IC: Strategies and Skill-Building.
- TOEFL/IC: Coaching and Mentoring.
DIPLOMA IN TESL/TEFL